JOSEPH F. NICHOLAS, JR.
PRESIDENT & MANAGING PARTNER
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Joe focuses his practice on the defense of professional liability matters. He has defended professionals including lawyers, accountants, doctors, dentists, architects and insurance agents and brokers throughout his career.
In addition to his professional liability practice, he has significant experience handling commercial trucking (long haul and short haul) and commercial coach carrier matters. His practice also includes litigation of first and third party claims with regard to personal lines, various general liability matters and construction defects.
Joe joined MRR in 1991. He was named the Administrative Partner-in-Charge of the Cleveland office in 2000 and remained in this role until 2012 when he became President and Managing Partner of the firm.
Before joining the firm, he served as a claims representative at Progressive Casualty Insurance Company for two years adjusting private passenger automobile claims. Joe also worked for Transport Insurance Company in Dallas, Texas, as a Claims Branch Manager and then as a Claims Attorney where he managed commercial trucking claims.
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Professional Liability Defense Federation (PLDF)
- Insurance Producer Committee, Chair (Present)
- Insurance Claims Committee, Co-Vice Chair (Past)
- Your House Counsel, Group Chair
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA)
- AV® Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Mater Dei Academy, Board of Trustees (Present)
- City of Wickliffe, Board of Zoning Appeals (2005-Present)
- Vice Chairman (2010-Present)
- Villa Angela-St. Joseph High School Oarsman Club, Vice President (2010-2013)
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Athletic Director (2004-2008)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- J.D., 1986, Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- B.A., 1983, University of Dayton